Subtraction facts (whole number)
1. The place value of a number starts from right to left in the following order: ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, hundred thousands, etc.
2. Subtraction is only possible between two numbers.
3. Subtraction is taking away one number (second number) from another number (first number).
The first number is the minuend and the second number is the subtrahend.
Subtraction is reducing the minuend by amount equal to the subtrahend.
4. The result we get after subtraction is called a difference.
5. The result (difference) will not be same if the order is different.
6. Subtracting 0 (zero) with a number will give the same number as the result.
7. Subtracting 1 (one) with a number will give the previous number in value or predecessor of the number as the result.
8. Subtracting a number by itself gives 0.
9. Adding the subtrahend (second number) and the result gives the minuend (first number).
How do you subtract numbers?
Example: Subtract 1698 from 12781.
1. Write the numbers in proper columns.
Minuend = 12781
2. Subtract the numbers in the ones column (12781 - 1698).
1 - 8 : It is not possible to subtract. So borrow 10 from the number in the tens place,
which is 8. Since we subtracted 10 from 80 it becomes 70.
11 - 8 = 3 : Put 3 in the ones place.
3. Subtract the numbers in tens column (127
871 - 1698)
7-9 : It is not possible to subtract. so we borrow from the number in the hundreds place,
which is 7. Since we subtracted 100 from 700 it becomes 600.
17 - 9 = 8 : Put 8 in the tens place.
4. Subtract the numbers in the hundreds column (12
7681 - 1698)
6 - 6 = 0.
Put the 0 in hundreds column.
5. Subtract the numbers in the thousands column (12781 - 1698)
2 - 1 = 1
Put 1 in the thousands column.
6. There is no number in the ten thousands column in the second number, Subtrahend,(12781 - 1698).
So put 1 in the ten thousand column of the result.